Contacting Jem Bendell
Professor Bendell relays his sincere thanks to everyone who has felt moved to reach out to him on this topic. The offers of support and invitations to collaborate have been both humbling and affirming. Since the release of the Deep Adaptation paper in July 2018, his server reports 600K hits to the Deep Adaptation paper.
With minimal funding and some volunteering the team has responded personally to over 300 emails but this detracts from other activities. So please read this page to see if your needs are covered before attempting to contact Professor Bendell.
Please consider whether your needs can be met by any of the following:
- Join the Deep Adaptation Forum to engage with other professionals
- See the courses Prof. Bendell offers
- Join this Linkedin group
- Subscribe to Prof. Bendell's blog
- Receive his quarterly mail
- Receive the Deep Adaptation quarterly mail
- Read the Deep Adaptation paper
- See his first DA public talk in Bristol
- See Prof. Bendell's engagements in 2019
- Join the DA Facebook group
- Follow this Twitter @DeepAdaptation
If you are not sure whether or which of the above you are looking for, click
- I'm a policymaker, donor or climate scientist
- I'm in shock after reading the paper
- I work in new media
- I work in mainstream media
- I want to interview Prof. Bendell as part of my studes
- I want to study with Prof. Bendell
- I want Prof. Bendell to speak at a conference
- I think Prof. Bendell would enjoy reading a paper
- I'm planning to make art based on Deep Adaptation
- I want to talk about Prof. Bendell's previous work in economics / monetary systems
- I want to talk about Jem's previous work in Corporate Social responsibility
I'm a policymaker, donor or climate scientist
Please use the form below.
I'm in shock after reading the paper
Jem is aware of the limits to his expertise in either inner or outer processes for deep adaptation. He says "One thing I have found that sustains me, and the one piece of advice I can feel confident in offering, is not to go through this in isolation." If you don't yet feel okay talking with close friends or family, there are online communities that are holding space and offering opportunities for people to be with each other and support each other through the darkest parts of this journey. And many people report that going through this processing collectively has helped them to access states of acceptance and deep joy as well.
He is aware of the following that may help with that:
- The Positive Deep Adaptation Facebook group brings together thousands of people who accept that collapse is likely or unfolding, and seek to explore positive responses in supportive ways, agreed as a requirement to join the group.
- The Aching Heart Movement - a Facebook group associated with Extinction Rebellion, holds regular online 'grief circles, facilitated by experienced grief workers. These circles have been warmly recommended to Jem by his friends.
- Death Cafe movement: this is an umbrella movement providing support and resources for local face to face community death cafes. You can find out if there's a cafe near you, or even start one. This movement is not overtly about climate grief, but the meetings are absolutely open to anyone, and anything that they might bring.
- The Deep Adaptation LinkedIn group: it's more of a professional focus, and less sharing of resources and support for emotional processing, but still offers the possibilities of connecting with others who are considering the implications for their own lives of climate crisis.
- Deep Adaptation Forum: a place for deeper engagement and collaboration. Again, this platform is aimed at different professional perspectives.
- Climate Psychology Alliance: aimed mainly at the psychotherapy profession, but some useful resources. In addition, in the UK this group has launched a network of therapists to provide support. For info, email Tree at [email protected]
- Extinction Rebellion local chapters can be a good way to meet people who have been through the shock or are dealing with it, as well as converting it into action.
I work in new media
Jem has done around 10 podcasts or videos since the paper was released, which you can find on his web site. He is now trying to diffuse attention away from himself to other activists as part of a strategy to build a broad, resilient, and scalable movement. Write below explaining the topics you would like to cover and we will suggest some other names and also notify you if and when he himself is ready to do more podcasts.
I work in mainstream media
Jem is trying to diffuse attention away from himself to other activists as part of a strategy to build a broad, resilient, scalable movement. Write below explaining the topics you would like to cover and we will suggest some other names and also notify you when he has something to say in the mainstream.
I want to interview Prof. Bendell as part of my studies
Sorry but Jem already has five PhD students and many Masters students and cannot give time to others. We recommend you join the Positive Deep Adaptation Facebook group and share your questions there.
I want to study with Prof. Bendell
Jem's is offering various courses this year but not taking new PhD students at present.
I want Prof. Bendell to speak at a conference
Professor Bendell plans his travel 3-9 months in advance so the more notice you can give the better. However he is much more available for remote keynote speeches. Please give information in the form below making clear whether the conference local/national/global, and whether you would require him to research and deliver an original speech or, speak from the top of his head. Note that any revenue from conference speeches is used to help pay his team. Jem is not accepting any new invitations for talks before April 2020. See his 2019 events.
I think Prof. Bendell would enjoy reading a paper
Jem is not trying to know everything about what should become a vast field of enquiry. The groups in the Deep Adaptation Forum are a good place to post resources where they might be found and find people to collaborate with (You will need to sign up first).
I'm planning to make art based on Deep Adaptation
Jem is always glad when artists take inspiration from Deep Adaptation. There is no copyright or restriction on 'Deep Adaptation', but many people read it quickly and mistake the point. Deep Adaptation is a frame (in the George Lakoff sense) and a narrative for talking about climate change. It says:
- The science is telling us that climate change is speeding up, even if much of the media and government seems unaware.
- It is not just about changes in the weather but we should be thinking urgently about the consequences of climate change on our complex society.
- The consequences could be very dire and many people are in denial or paralysed by the prospect societal collapse.
- We might benefit by reflecting on all areas of life and asking the questions about Relinquishment, Restoration, Resilience, and Reconciliation (as detailed in the paper).
You could list your opus on the Deep Adaptation Forum which has a page for that purpose.
I want to talk about Prof. Bendell's previous work in economics / monetary systems
Jem is no longer working specifically on economics, blockchain, monetary reform or complementary currencies. All enquiries should be directed to his Money & Society MOOC co-author, 'complementary currency engineer' Matthew Slater.
I want to talk about Prof. Bendell's previous work in CSR
Jem is no longer working directly on corporate responsibility. In 2020 he may publish some ideas on what corporate leaders could do on deep adaptation.