Contacting Jem Bendell
Thank you for wanting to reach out to me.
With the release of my new book 'Breaking Together' I am stepping back from academic, activist and policy work, to focus for a few years (I hope) on regenerative agriculture, music and Buddhist study. I have relinquished my Professorship, becoming an Emeritus Professor, and in that capacity will do rare public engagements relating to my book.
Please consider whether your needs can be met by any of the following:
- Read Breaking Together: a freedom-loving response to collapse
- Discover the Scholars' Warning on Societal Disruption and Collapse and consider signing it if you are an academic, to then connect with others.
- Join the Deep Adaptation Forum to engage with other professionals
- Join the DA Facebook group
- Join this Linkedin group
- Subscribe to Prof. Bendell's blog
- Receive his 6 monthly update mail
- Receive the 6 monthly Deep Adaptation Review
- Read the Deep Adaptation paper
If you are not sure whether or which of the above you are looking for, click
- I'm a policymaker, donor or climate scientist
- I'm in shock after reading the paper
- I want Prof. Bendell to speak at a conference
- I work in new media
- I work in mainstream media
- I want to interview Prof. Bendell as part of my studes
- I want to study with Prof. Bendell
- I think Prof. Bendell would enjoy reading a paper
- I'm planning to make art based on Deep Adaptation or Breaking Together
- I want to talk about Prof. Bendell's previous work in economics / monetary systems
- I want to talk about Jem's previous work in Corporate Social responsibility
I'm a policymaker, donor or climate scientist
Please use the form below.
I'm in shock after reading the DA paper
I am aware of the limits to my expertise in either inner or outer processes for deep adaptation to societal disruption and climate anxiety. One thing I have found that sustains me, and the one piece of advice I can feel confident in offering, is not to go through this in isolation. If you don't yet feel okay talking with close friends or family, there are online communities that are holding space and offering opportunities for people to be with each other and support each other through the darkest parts of this journey. And many people report that going through this processing collectively has helped them to access states of acceptance and deep joy as well.
I am aware of the following that may help with that:
- The Deep Adaptation Facebook group brings together thousands of people who accept that collapse is likely or unfolding, and seek to explore positive responses in supportive ways, agreed as a requirement to join the group.
- The Aching Heart Movement - a Facebook group associated with Extinction Rebellion, holds regular online 'grief circles, facilitated by experienced grief workers. These circles have been warmly recommended to Jem by his friends.
- Death Cafe movement: this is an umbrella movement providing support and resources for local face to face community death cafes. You can find out if there's a cafe near you, or even start one. This movement is not overtly about climate grief, but the meetings are absolutely open to anyone, and anything that they might bring.
- The Deep Adaptation LinkedIn group: it's more of a professional focus, and less sharing of resources and support for emotional processing, but still offers the possibilities of connecting with others who are considering the implications for their own lives of climate crisis.
- Deep Adaptation Forum: a place for deeper engagement and collaboration.
- Climate Psychology Alliance: aimed mainly at the psychotherapy profession, but some useful resources. In addition, in the UK this group has launched a network of therapists to provide support. For info, email Tree at [email protected]
- Extinction Rebellion local chapters can be a good way to meet people who have been through the shock or are dealing with it, as well as converting it into action.
I want to invite Prof Bendell to speak at a conference
I am not currently accepting invites to conferences before April 2024. Please consider other scholars listed at www.scholarswarning.net
I work in new media
Write below explaining the topics you would like to cover and the nature and size of your audience. I may accept or suggest some other people with relevant specialist knowledge.
I work in mainstream media
Write below explaining the topics you would like to cover and I may accept or suggest some other people with relevant specialist knowledge.
I want to interview Prof. Bendell as part of my studies
Sorry, but my focus is now elsewhere. I recommend you join the Deep Adaptation Facebook group or Linked In group and share your questions there - people are very open to engage!
I want to study with Prof. Bendell
I am offering one open-enrolment online course in 2023 but not taking new PhD students as I have stepped down from my Professorship.
I think Prof. Bendell would enjoy reading a paper
I am not trying to know everything about "collapsology" which should become a vast field of enquiry. The groups in the Deep Adaptation Forum are a good place to post resources where they might be found and find people to collaborate with (You will need to sign up first).
I'm planning to make art based on Deep Adaptation
Fantastic! Please check out my own Kintsugi World art project. I am glad when artists take inspiration from Deep Adaptation, or from my new work, Breaking Together. There is no copyright or restriction on 'Deep Adaptation', but many people read it quickly and mistake the point. Deep Adaptation is a frame (in the George Lakoff sense) and a narrative for talking about climate change. It says:
- The science is telling us that climate change is speeding up, even if much of the media and government seems unaware.
- It is not just about changes in the weather but we should be thinking urgently about the consequences of climate change on our complex society.
- The consequences could be very dire and many people are in denial or paralysed by the prospect societal collapse.
- We might benefit by reflecting on all areas of life and asking the questions about Relinquishment, Restoration, Resilience, and Reconciliation (as detailed in the paper).
You could list your opus on the Deep Adaptation Forum which has groups for that purpose.
I want to talk about Prof. Bendell's previous work in economics / monetary systems
I am no longer working as an academic on economics, blockchain, monetary reform or complementary currencies. All enquiries should be directed to my Money & Society MOOC co-author, 'complementary currency engineer' Matthew Slater.
I want to talk about Prof. Bendell's previous work in CSR
I am no longer working directly on corporate responsibility.